Sunday, June 05, 2011

Summer is the Season for War

I'm a little weary of the random four-hour sagas lately; the individual PC adventures, while interesting, wears thin on everyone involved I'm sure. They're fun, don't get me wrong, but enough of anything can fatigue even the most subtle of tastes. Our games have taken the scheduling and complexity of most marriage-based bedding.

To that end, I'm thinking about touching something we haven't in a long time. A good old-fashioned D&D war game. The premise, style, and so forth is simple: go forth, kill things, get treasure and experience. Intriguing plots, silly themes, and NPC casts warranting expositions are all things I want to shelf for this run, if it runs. Alcar probably won't like it at all, but some of you others might.

Combat will be grid-based and different from the typical setup in that I won't make it as one-person-at-a-time. That is because people are kind of slow, and I will not run more than two sessions of this thing if I have to sit through a 45-minute kobold beatdown.

Our availabilities are all still somewhat odd. The tried and true method of everyone sitting down for an hour or two would be good, but I honestly am hesitant to commit to anything. I prefer more asynchronous methods these days unless we can all hit up a regular schedule, and to that end, I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be. I don't like regular schedules, but I like having everyone around the same table. I don't know how to get the egg without the chicken!

If there's interest, toss me a line sometime. Not here, though. I hardly ever check here.

2 comments:

  1. Sparkie7:50 am

    YES! YES! D&D and dice! THIS MUST RUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like D&D fine, but the idea of "let's shelve plot" turns me off. I think we just need more GROUP dynamic enforcement in our current games.

    ReplyDelete